Saturday, May 1, 2010

Viewpoints, Scavenger Hunts and Maybe Some Other Things

Elizabeth and I have been reading The Viewpoints Book: A practical guide to viewpoints and composition which I have found very intriguing. It focuses on building group connection and a non-hierarchical structure of practice. It breaks movement down into 9 elements (tempo, duration, kinesthetic response, repetition, architecture, shape, spatial relationship, topography, and gesture) and covers a few vocal elements that I haven't quite got to yet.

I really like the section in chapter three that addresses collaboration. I think it applies to all collaborative endeavors:

"The word 'want' used habitually and without consciousness of the consequences, constructs a parent/child relationship in rehearsal. This parent/child relationship limits resiliency, rigor and maturity in the creative process and inhibits true collaboration.

Can the artistic process be collaborative? Can a group of strong-minded individuals together ask what the play or project wants rather than depending upon the hierarchical domination of one person? Of course a project needs structure and a sense of direction but can the leader aim for discovery rather than staging a replica of what s/he has decided beforehand? Can we resist proclaiming 'what it is' long enough to authentically ask: 'What is it?'"
-The Viewpoints Book pp 18

This is what I hope The Fairy Tale Project achieves. I hope to co-direct in a way that allows for discovery and meeting the project's needs as opposed to my own wants. To work collectively instead of forcing my own vision for the project. Are we achieving this? I certainly hope so.

Today, instead of a traditional rehearsal we organized a scavenger hunt that had people traipsing around downtown Lexington in the rain to the public library, the Lexington History Museum, the farmer's market, and third street. At each place the teams had to complete a task. I had hoped to plan it a little better but the bad weather early on this morning cut back our time to set things up. But it all worked out. I think the hunt was frustrating for some and invigorating for others. I think both are good. Frustration can be good even though it might not seem so at first.

No comments:

Post a Comment