Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Value of Dissent

One of the things I struggle with is accepting dissent. I am a natural born persuasive speaker and thinker. I naturally try to persuade people to see things my way and in the event that a person doesn't or refuses to even try I get personally hurt. This is an issue I have to deal with if I am ever going to work in this field or really any other field for that matter.

Another note: Dissent is good. It is ok for a group to not be in accordance at all times. Learning to see from other vantage points is an important skill. And understanding someone else's view does not have to threaten our own views. In fact that is the key to learning to peacefully co-exist with other cultures that are different from our own. Agree to disagree.

These are some rules I have come up with in order to successfully communicate with a diverse range of people. I'm sure I will add more as my life continues:

1. Not all people are the same.
This one is a no-brainer, but is so easy to forget. Which is ironic since so much of community art is celebrating the differences that make people and cultures diverse.

2. There is no universal understanding of the world and our individual relationship to it.
The way I see the world and my relationship to it, is not how my roommate sees the world and her relationship to it. It is not how my mom sees the world and her relationship to it and it is not how most of the people in this universe see the world and understand their own individual relationship to it. This does not mean I am wrong. It does not mean they are wrong. It is not worth losing relationships with people to try and force my understanding of the world on others. I need to remind myself of this. Often.

3. Sometimes it is ok to let the other person "win."

4. Arguing about personal opinions is a waste of time.

5. It is impossible to discuss things with someone who does not listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment